Do you ever Pin a recipe just because it looks pretty? This was certainly the case with this shakshuka recipe I stumbled upon this Spring. Then it made it onto my 92 Days of Summer list because of the colors it would add to my Instagram feed. Don’t judge me. I was fortunate enough to have actually followed the recipe correctly and enjoyed a delicious dinner.
What you’ll need:
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 large red bell pepper, sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
dash of cayenne
1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes with juices, chopped
¾ tsp salt, or to taste
¼ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
5 ounces feta cheese crumbles
5 large eggs
What you’ll do:
1. Preheat the over to 375 degrees.
2. Saute the onion and peppers over medium heat in the olive oil. Cook for about 20 minutes until the peppers are soft and the onions are almost translucent.
3. Stir in cumin, paprika and cayenne, and cook 1 minute.
4. Add in the tomatoes and juice, then season with salt and pepper.
5. Let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in crumbled feta.
6. Transfer the tomato sauce into an oven-safe pan. With a spoon, make five divots into the mixture. Carefully crack the eggs into each hole.
7. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in the until eggs are set, 9 to 12 minutes. Serve with hot sauce.